Friday, 18 April 2014

Sweet Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Things have been very busy! Travelled to Boston this week to visit an Engineering school, it's the Jewish holiday Pesach (Passover) and I'm now finishing up my last and final coursework paper for my degree!

However, my blog needs some love. I look forward to giving it more attention soon. Today's blog post is a recipe I adapted from my good CrossFit friend B.J - she's got some KILLER posts going on recently, I'm looking to try out some more. This meal is one I made a week or so back, during the Passover holiday there are very specific rules about use of your yearly cutlery, electronic kitchen devices, plates and more. For the length of Passover holiday, we don't use any of our kitchen items that have come in contact with "chometz" and use separate dishes and kitchen items.

Therefore many of those posts you will see were made previously before the holiday - and I'm clearly using my usual plates. Being Paleo basically means nearly no transition in the foods that you would eat during Passover. During Passover you do not eat any items that "rise" or have leavening ingredients. Wheat, barley, oats, rye and spelt are all out of the question. Being an Ashkenazi Jew, also rice, corn, peanuts, and beans are also forbidden at this time. Therefore, already used to a relatively Paleo diet, this isn't much of a change for me (more of a change for my husband!).



Recipe after the jump

Sweet Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Adapted from NoPainPaleo

Ingredients:
- 2 to 3 Sweet Potatoes, cubed (to come to about 6 cups of sweet potato)
- 17oz jar of Roasted Red Peppers, sliced
- 398ml can of Coconut Milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 chili flakes

Directions
1. Cube your sweet potatoes, slice the red peppers, dice your onions throw it all in the Slow Cooker
2. Add in coconut milk, vegetable stock, garlic and spices on top
3. Set Slow Cooker on low for 6 hours
4. Use a hand mixer after the 6 hours are up (careful it is hot!) and blend all the ingredients together. 

Eat. It's SO GOOD. 

1 comment: