Thursday, 28 August 2014

1 Year of CrossFit

On August 16th 2013 - I stepped into my very first CrossFit gym. And I've never left.



Some people refer to CrossFit as a cult, and in a less aggressive sounding way - it is.
cult: a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
I don't necessarily agree with the "religious" part, but I would definitely say I'm a devoted CrossFitter.

With now over a year of experience participating in CrossFit workouts, I've made some observations along the way.

One of the most attractive things about CrossFit (other than the man candy) is the relationships that you build with other members at the box. You all come in and do the same workout and fight through it together, doing things that you never thought you could do before. But you have this new sense of confidence that you can do it with your fellow buddies. Other members of the gym (and sometimes in the mid of their workout) will cheer you on, along with your coaches. Suddenly - that 45 pound kettlebell doesn't seem as intimidating as before. What is incredible is that no matter what your athletic background is, everyone can participate, learn and improve. CrossFit has turned into a very social aspect for me, as it is one of the only social outlets I get outside of chatting with co-workers and my husband. It's kind of nice to have another outlet - and especially Open Gym.

Respecting but pushing your limits. Here's a great example from my workout this morning. Our workout included pistol squats and kettlebell swings at 55 pounds, in addition to other things. Generally, most of our programming will use the 35 pound kettlebell for the women's weight. Naturally seeing the number 55 beside KB Swings and the number of reps (2 sets of 30, 50 pistol squats splitting the two sets), I opted for my safety net of 35. The coach took one good look at me and told me to go get the 45 pound kettlebell. I waddled over and grabbed the 45 pound one, but had some serious doubt.

But here's the thing. Coaching. Both of the coaches at the gym know me and my abilities quite well. Enough to know exactly what I should be lifting or doing at all time. A good CrossFit box will have coaches who know their athletes. When Kristi told me to go get that 45 pound kettlebell, it's because she knew that I would be able to do it. She knew it would put me out of my comfort zone, knew that it was a challenge, but she knew without a doubt I would get through it. Sometimes when I look at the board for the WOD - I can choose a challenging weight. But sometimes when I have those days and I'm not so confident, having the right push and motivation from the coaches can really help.

We talk about it all the damn time. I am not really sure what is behind this phenomenon, but I'm not sorry about it either. I can't seem to help about talking about something that provides me a level of satisfaction and makes me happy. And our crazy outfits believe it or not are sometimes not only for the enjoyment for others - but consider it equipment! You try climbing a rope multiple times with bare legs - unless you enjoy rope burn then you are on your own. Oh, and this also seems to come with the territory of taking CrossFit related photos or selfies. I want to talk about so badly how I did 100 burpee pull-ups and I made it through and I want to tell all of social media about it, but sometimes there is a limit.

I care more about what I eat. Don't get me wrong, I'll never break up with you soft serve ice cream - but I definitely have changed my eating habits. At home I prepare all the meals, and I'm very conscious about what we eat at home. I've swapped out gluten free pasta for zucchini pasta as an example. If I'm buying tomato sauce, I make sure it has no sugar in it.  This method is good because if it's the weekend and my friend's want to go and have sushi - no problem! Or ice cream. Mmmm ice cream. I love food and I can't devote my life to a diet like paleo, and I would argue that I'm successful and possibly equally as so by eating the way I do. Which yes, I limit the grains and sugar - but if I'm going out with friends, I'll eat those things in moderation. I've had great successes by limiting these options but not fully getting rid of them 100% of the time.

But most of all, I've found something that makes me happy. What more can someone ask for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment