What grinds my gears? When someone tells me that they are on a gluten-free diet because it's "healthier." It takes about all of my strength to not smack some sense into people who tell me this. I would accept the following as appropriate comments regarding gluten-free diets.
I'm on a gluten-free diet because...
...I have Celiac Disease
...because my blood test shows highly elevated numbers towards gluten however my scope shows I'm ok, therefore I have a gluten sensitivity and every time I eat gluten I'm stuck to the toilet and things are awful for the next 3-4 days and one time I got this crazy rash (that's my answer, can you tell?)
...I'm gluten sensitive
...because I physically feel better
Choosing to eat gluten-free items (packaged gluten free items I may add) does not necessarily mean that it is healthier for you. In fact, many times you will see that gluten free items may have more calories, fat, sugar than it's gluten full counterparts. I invite you to look carefully at the ingredients and the nutritional value of gluten free products, especially bread, pasta and baked goods. For bread and baked goods especially, you will be shocked at the increase of fat and sugar used in these products.
If you've been reading this blog, you know that I'm gluten-free because I have to be. About 10 years ago, my dad was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity - and at that time it was nearly unheard of. I did learn that it was genetic and it was possible that it could get passed on, but I always told myself I would have no idea what to do if I also couldn't process gluten. When I was first diagnosed - I was absolutely crushed. I loved pasta, bread products, pizza ...I loved gluten. Now I kind of see it as a blessing in disguise and I'm glad gluten is out of my diet and in fact, I don't do very much to replace it. I can't bring myself to eat gluten free bread, I'm sorry, it tastes like crap and to me not worth the calories. I will only eat gluten free pasta if I'm in a serious bind and I have no idea what to do and I'm starving and possible hormonal.
And don't get me wrong, every few months or so (on average every 3-4 months) I'll cheat. That might mean I'm going to have a hamburger WITH the bun. Doing this I'm running a risk, and knowingly I'll have a stomach ache after. I would just rather save my calories for real bread than eat the gluten-free highly processed bread.
I'm not here to tell you how to be healthier, but what I am saying is that if you are on a gluten-free diet and you are just substituting everything you loved to eat with the gluten free alternative, you may be surprised to see that it's not always the "healthier" choice. What I am telling you is to be aware of what you are putting in your body, read the nutritional value, read the ingredients of what's in the processed food.
*stepping down from soap box*
0 comments:
Post a Comment