But right before that, the Paleo Challenge finished up at Crossfit Vortex and yours truly was the winner. I was incredibly shocked by that news but I could not be any prouder of myself. I had an incredible 117% improvement in my conditioning and also excellent improvement in my body measurements and strength. I've also decided that I am going to subscribe to my own version of the paleo diet. By this I mean inside my own home I am going to prepare paleo meals the majority of the time, which basically means that I will not be "strict" all the time. By this I basically mean I will enjoy sushi at a restaurant, or popcorn at the movie theatres. I don't intend on making this a ritual by any means but I think everything in moderation is fine. I do feel better internally too, and for someone such as myself plagued with discomfort quite often - it's a nice change.
Things have been quiet recently here because I've transitioned to a new job and I am in absolute love. I'm so pumped about my new job and everyday is exciting and I hope I'll never lose this feeling. I suppose you could say I'm honeymooning right now, but something tells me that this really won't fad much. I'm also going to Boston! I'm going with some of the people I work with for the day to visit another school. Way. too. awesome.
And now the Crossfit Open. I'm excited, I'm scared, nervous, anxious, can't wait, post the WOD already...you name it. The best part is that I'm going to be doing the WODs with some of the most supportive people I know and I can't wait for them to push me to kill every movement. I've got an entire community rooting for me, and I am there for them too. I'm excited because this is my first time out and I look forward to seeing what I can do today, and what I can do in 2015. Setting up some benchmarks so I can track my progress and growth. I'm excited to test my limits and set up some new goals for the rest of the year. This isn't about what place I come in for my age group, or in my region. This is about being proud of whatever my score is and not comparing myself to others in my box or anyone else. (This is always hard to do, but I really mean it). As most things in our world, we constantly compare ourselves to others, the way they look, their physique, their athletic ability, their intelligence, and the list continues.
Yoga teaches us to really zone into our practice and that what you do in your practice is your own. You own it. Own your performance. So I'm going to zone into my Open WODs, I'm going to be competing with me and the clock. This is my time to concentrate on myself, think about myself, time to be selfish and not care about whatever else is doing. It's all my time. It's gonna get fun in here.
Sweet Potato Burgers
Recipe after the jump!
Recipe adapted from: How Sweet it is
Ingredients
- 4 sweet potatoes, baked (either slow cooker method or any other method you prefer)
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 bulb of garlic, roasted
- 2/3 cup of arrowroot flour
- 2/3 cup of rice breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 Tblsp Olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 avocado, sliced
1) Bake Sweet potatoes. If you have time, I highly recommend the slow cooker method. It is incredibly good. (Simply put, wrap sweet potato in foil, put in slow cooker on low for 8 hrs or high for 4 hours, and you have one killer sweet potato. If you don't have time, resort to the microwave method.
1a) Roast some garlic (also only if you have time!). Simply cut off a bit from the top of the bulb, peel off most of the outer layers, wrap in foil, throw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 375F and wait for the wonderful garlicky smell to fill your kitchen.
2) In a large bowl, mash beans and sweet potatoes together. Then add in the roasted garlic, flour, rice breadcrumbs, spices and beaten egg. Mix well. I would recommend throwing the mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes so it firms up a bit. This will make it easier when you cook the burgers for everything to stay together.
3) Heat a pan to medium with the olive oil added in, and form equal size patties. You can make 8+ depending how big you make your patties. I use a ziploc container lid (the circular ones) to help me make uniform patties. I found that it was good to let them cook at least for 6-7 minutes on one side before flipping. Then 5-6 minutes on the other side.
4) Assemble and eat!
0 comments:
Post a Comment