Beef Stew
Beef Stew. More accurately, my mother's beef stew. You can't go wrong with it. Here are the following reasons:
1) It tastes so good
2) LEFTOVERS
3) Freezes well
I'm a busy person, I do a lot of things. I work, I go to school, I like to stay active and I also like to have a social life. Therefore recipes that can be adapted to make bigger portions and can be easily frozen? Sign me up.
My Beef Stew (adapted from my Mom's recipe)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or any other Paleo suitable oil)
2 pounds stewing beef
1 package sliced white mushrooms
1 package sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced celery
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 8 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon thyme
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or more to suit your taste)
1 Tablespoon beef/vegetable broth (I use homemade vegetable broth, will be posted later)
1 bay leaf
2-3 cups water
In dutch oven, heat oil. Cut beef into cubes and brown well in oil on all sides. Remove beef and set aside. I also take the time to wash out all the fat from pot, you can choose not to if you want. I will leave a little left behind just to make sure that my vegetables will not stick to the pot. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, celery and garlic to the pot. Saute until tender - 8 to 10 minutes. Add beef back to the pot. Add in all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/4 hours.
While you are waiting, get 4 carrots and cut into halves and pull out 6 white pearl onions. Then feel free to do your laundry, maybe a tabata exercise, read a book - whatever works.
Add carrots and white pearl onions after 1 1/4 hours. Cook for 1 hour longer or until tender. You can skim the fat off if you choose (I do!). Once cooled, you can put as much of the stew into ziplock containers or bags to be frozen.
WOD at Crossfit Vortex
Pre-WOD
Push Jerk
3-3-3-3-3
*Work up to 3 round max.
Max for today: 85lbs. I could have done more but I lost my footing on one of the jerks and I bothered my back a bit so I called it quits.
WOD
50 Barbell Walking Lunge (45)
50 Target Burpees
50 Barbell Walking Lunge (45)
Time: 13:03
After I bothered my back I decided to go lighter for the lunges, but trust me they were still hard! The good news is I'm feeling 100% now so it's all good!

The stew looks delish!! Cannot wait to try it!..
ReplyDelete