Monday, 6 January 2014

Welcome Post

Welcome to Make it Count: Paleo Kitchen

The blog has been created to help out fellow Crossfitters realize that the Paleo Challenge is more than do-able. It can also be more than just a diet, it can be a lifestyle. I'll be sharing some of my favourite Paleo recipes on this blog.

What is Paleo?
Instead of me taking this time to explain it, I'll let this website explain everything for me.

Crossfit & Paleo
My box (Crossfit Vortex) will put on Paleo challenges a few times a year. Measurements in body composition, strength and conditioning is done on the first two days of the challenge. Then, we commit to eating "clean" for the 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, we will have the same measurement process.

When I first got started with Crossfit, I tried out the Paleo challenge. I was incredibly shocked that not only the changes I had with my body, but also how I physically felt. When I started Crossfit at this point, I was only going twice a week. Cutting out refined sugar had a huge effect on my mood and energy levels. Even after the challenge, I committed myself to cutting out refined sugars as much as possible. More conscious about what I was picking up at the grocery store, cutting out calorie wasters (pop, juice) and more.

I'm excited to be participating in my second paleo challenge. I've become more committed to going to Crossfit, where I can be found at my box either at 7am or 7:30pm during the work week and usually on Saturday's. On average I am now working out 4-5 times a week at Crossfit Vortex along with running. Now since I have many of the fundamentals under my belt, I am interested to see my progress.

The Food
One part that makes this a lot easier for me is that I developed a gluten allergy in late 2013. I also strongly believe in the Paleo 80/20 rule. You will still get 99% of the benefits of the paleo diet providing that you are committed to it 80% of the time. Which leaves a 20% cheat. The cheat is good when you are in situations that may arise or when you are out for dinner. Even when you are out for dinner you can make some Paleo choices - but you don't have to kill yourself over it. If you choose to order a hamburger, you could go all out and just eat the bun as your cheat - or if you really wanted to, ask for no bun.  It's way easier to ask for no bun if you are gluten intolerant like myself. One die hard cheat for me is my coffee, I throughly enjoy my skim milk/non fat milk in my coffee.

It's also not THAT hard to stick to a paleo diet. It might be if you like to eat out often and don't prepare a lot of food at home. You need to be committed to changing up your pantry and fridge for a while, no sense keeping foods around that might tempt you. You also need to be committed to preparing food for yourself and others. I hope my blog will help others realize that Paleo isn't all that bad and you won't go hungry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment