One of the trickiest things I've had to work around since I was told I have a gluten allergy is my love for pizza, especially homemade pizza. Homemade pizza was one of my absolute favourite things to make at home. Yes, fresh pizza dough and the whole bit.
Check out this beautiful pizza, 100% homemade (aka so not Paleo)
Now, you might notice something funny looking on this pizza. Where's the cheese? I'm going to tell you a little secret, I hate cheese. Sometimes my husband doesn't know why he married me, many of my friends were unsure how our relationship could continue knowing this tidbit of information, and most are just absolutely repulsed by the fact that I hate cheese.
This was always fun for my husband and I to make on a Saturday night and watch the hockey game. (And by watch the hockey game I really mean: I'm knitting and he's watching). I always felt terrible about not making pizza once we realized I was gluten intolerant. I did continue to provide my husband with lots of gluten filled foods even if I couldn't eat them, but I couldn't bring myself to make the pizza dough anymore. The pizza dough I used to make was a time consuming process, and by that I simply mean waiting for the dough to rise.
But then our lives got a lot better when NoPainPaleo's BJ posted a recipe for Paleo Pizza and brought it over to our place. I knew that this was going to be our new go-to pizza recipe that would meet my dietary needs AND taste great. I was so thrilled that my husband liked this, because gluten free items aren't usually as good. But if he likes it and tells me to make this again - I know I'm good!
I need to go to school and learn how to make a circle (a little different with this dough) but look at this Kosher Paleo Pizza.
Recipe after the jump!
Paleo Pizza
Adapted from NoPainPaleo (check her out for more amazing recipes, shopping lists and overall Paleo advice!)Ingredients for Dough:
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour (this is a Kosher alternative to gelatin. If you'd like, you may use gelatin. There is also vegan gelatin available called Agar Agar if you want to use that as well).
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tblsp oregano
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes (or if you like to live on the spicy side, add more)
- pepper, chili powder, paprika, onion powder to taste
Pizza toppings:
Use what you like. I used red onion, mushrooms, zucchini, and kosher salami. Mainly because that's all I had in the fridge at that point.
Pre-heat oven to 400F
1. In a large bowl, whisk tapioca and potato flour. Be careful, it likes to powder itself all over you and your counter (take my advice on this one).
2. In a smaller bowl, put the water in bowl and then follow with arrowroot flour.
3. Add egg and oil in the smaller bowl, whisk until combined
4. Add wet ingredients to large bowl, and knead with hands until combined. Form into ball.
5. Place ball in middle of pizza pan/stone. Depending on the type of pizza pan/stone you have, you may want to put down a little bit of potato flour on the pan to not have the dough stick. I use William Sonoma Gold Pizza pans - so this is not necessary but I did it anyway. Start kneading it out into a circle to get it started, and then you can use a rolling pin to flatten it out.
6. Bake the pizza dough on it's own first for 16-20 minutes.
While the pizza dough is baking, this is a good time to get your vegetables/meat choices sauteed. You don't have to sautee them, but I think the veggies taste better this way.
Sauce:
1. Put all the ingredients into a pot.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Once the pizza dough is done, put the sauce on the pizza and add your toppings. Send it back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes, and then it's time to eat!


0 comments:
Post a Comment